L. American Courses Will Be Increased

By Robert E. Smith

The Faculty expects to increase its course offerings in Latin American studies, perhaps by next fall, according to President Pusey.

Since many feel that Latin American scholarship has been neglected at the University, the Faculty recently established an interdisciplinary Latin American Studies Office, headed by William S. Barnes, assistant dean of the Law School. However, Pusey said, there is also concern about the number of courses in the field under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

A committee headed by Ernest R. May, associate professor of History, has been unable to find a senior member o fill a vacant professorship in Latin American politics and government. The group has recommended an alternative step: appropriation of funds for three junior Faculty members to further their studies in the field, with assurance of appointment later.

These so-called Bliss Fellows are John N. Plank, instructor in Government; Thomas E. Skidmore, instructor in History; and John Warmack, Jr., who is now on leave of absence.

Currently the Faculty of Arts and Sciences offers courses in "Latin American Politics and Government" by lank, "Inter-American Relations" by May, "Intellectual History of Latin America, 1810 to the Present" by Juan Marichel, associate professor of Romance Languages and Literatures, a graduate seminar in Latin American intellectual history by Marichal, "Contemporary Poetry of Latin America" by Robert G. Glickman, lecturer on Spanish, and next year "Peoples and Cultures of South America" by Gordon R. Willey, Bowditch Professor of Central American and Mexican Archaeology, and Evon Z. Vegt, professor of Social Anthropology.