Hughes, Lodge Clash On How to Improve Economy

Deplore Teddy's Absence

By Efrem Sigel

H. Stuart Hughes and George Cabot Lodge '50 clashed at East Boston High School last night in their second debate of the current Senatorial campaign. The debate was televised by WHDH.

Unlike their first meeting, in which the Senate candidates had refuted each other's statements with close attention, last night they appealed directly to the voters by outlining extensive political programs. Once again, both candidates used their opening statements to deplore the absence of Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy '54, who was represented by an empty podium. Hughes called it "an injustice both to himself and to the electorate of Massachusetts that the third candidate is not here."

Lodge demanded that Kennedy--whom he did not identify by name--appear in debate "to prove to the voters why he should get our votes in November."

The candidates then settled down to the topic of the debate, "Automation and Defense Contracts--Boom or Bust for Massachusetts."

Lodge called the issue of unemployment crucial, and attacked what he called "discrimination" in the allocation of federal space contracts to Massachusetts. He claimed that Massachusetts receives only one per cent of all funds for space, while fat contracts are given to Southern states whose Senators are the chairmen of key Congressional committees.

Hughes retorted that Massachusetts is already too dependent on short - term, "precarious" federal armaments contracts. He said that these contracts would not eliminate the pockets of chronic unemployment in the state, and outlined an economic program of immediate tax cuts for low income brackets, a vast federal public works program, and a 35-hour work week. The program could be financed by reducing defense expenditures by $10 billion a year, he said.

Hughes also called for a uniform minimum wage of $1.50, and for a medicare program for the entire population, not just those over 65.

Lodge dismissed the Hughes program. "I find my friend Professor Hughes distressingly vague on what he would do to create more jobs," he said. Lodge said the way to eliminate unemployment was to attract new industry to Massachusetts by offering tax relief and other incentives.

Hughes responded by claiming that private industry could not do the job alone. He said we should "have the federal government do all the things we have failed to do in the last 15 years."

The professor defended his support for a $1.50 minimum wage against Lodge's contention that it would throw thousands of men out of work. Only by a national minimum wage can we prevent industry from Seeing South to take advantage of cheap labor, Hughes said.

He also brushed aside Lodge's asserting that increased automation would mean fewer jobs, and stated: "We are on the threshold of the economic promised land."

Instead of increased unemployment, Hughes said, we should look forward to the day when men work only half as much as they do now, to the day when they would have time "to cultivate their avocations."

To achieve these goals, he demanded an earlier retirement age and longer vacations.

In contrast to Hughes' economic promised land, Lodge stressed the need to think ahead coldly and realistically. "We need to tighten the belt both on the labor side and on the management side," he declared.

Lodge asked for a medicare program which would give citizens maximum benefits with as much freedom as possible. He said such a program should be financed either under social secutiry or privately, according to the wishes of the individual.

Hughes used his concluding statement to give an account of his previous public service, including his rise from private to Lt. Colonel during World War II.

Lodge, in turn, recounted his experience in the Departments of Labor and State, and closed with a final jab at the absent Ted Kennedy. No President of the U.S. has ever had a member of his family sitting in Congress while in office, Lodge said, and asked why Kennedy thought he should break this tradition.

The debate was moderated by Dean Charles L. Schottland of Brandeis