Conway Resigns as-Leverett Master; Will Leave College at End of Year

Changes Since 1957 Made House Popular

The departure of John J. Conway at the end of this year will leave open the Mastership of the College's largest House, and the one that last spring received the highest number of applications from the freshman class. But in 1957, when Conway took the position, the number of first choice Leverett applications was rumored to be less than a dozen, and the House's physical set-up was perhaps the least attractive in the College.

There were two major changes during Conway's Mastership, together accounting for the great increase in popularity. The first project was to renovate completely the House dining hall, removing all traces of the old one except the solid silver chandeliers, valued at $35,000 each.

The second task was to plan and build the Towers, the two 11-story dormitories currently housing more than half of Leverett's 460 members. The Towers were opened in the fall of 1960. Like the dining hall renovation, they were mainly financed by the Program for Harvard College.

Conway disclosed recently that he had made long-range plans for one other major physical undertaking: to tear up the road between McKinlock Hall and Memorial Drive, converting the land into an open lawn. There were no funds available for the project however.