Ivy League Contenders Seek '62 Championship

The varsity soccer team has lost three straight contests, but remains undefeated as an Ivy League team in one of the zaniest loop situations in years. Of the eight Ivy teams, none have competed in more than two league contests. Yet, only two, Harvard and Yale remain undefeated.

To make things complete, highly rated Princeton has lost two, virtually eliminating the perennially tough Tigers front crown contention. Dartmouth exhibited early season strength in downing the University of Pennsylvania eleven 3-0, but the Indians promptly ran out of steam against Brown losing 2-0.

Smarting from its early season 3-0 beating at the hands of Dartmouth, an aroused Penn complicated the picture by blasting Princeton 4-0 last week. The enraged Quakers were the talk of the town and could mean trouble for everyone.

Brown, after handling Dartmouth with ease, ran into a tough Yale eleven last week, and lost a close one 2-1. The Bulldogs just to show that somebody (anybody) could win two in a row also downed Columbia 2-0.

Harvard, who has beaten Cornell 4-2 in its only Ivy outing, will take on Columbia today. The Lions may have lost to Yale, but they handed Princeton its second loss. The Crimson, a pre-season favorite, may have a tough time down in New York in light of its own recent play.

The varsity, high scoring eleven in the Ivy league last year, has been held to one goal in three games. The team has also been plagued by injuries. Halfback Emmanual "Mamma" Boys has not been practicing because of a sprained ankle. Lon Williams at full back has been hampered by a cut knee, and Chris Ohiri, scorer of eight of the varsity's nine goals, has also been sidelined with injuries.

Looking through the league, it looks as if Harvard, Yale, and Brown are the real Ivy contenders with Dartmouth given a slight chance in spite of its loss to Brown. The Bruins have also dropped a contest to the Bulldogs, but they tend to grow stronger as the season progresses. Last year, Brown, in typical Ivy League fashion, knocked off the first place Crimson eleven 5-0.

So, anybody can beat anybody, unless, of course, they lost.