SCIENCE AND GOVERNMENT

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The recent high-altitude nuclear explosion and its unfortunate aftermath have revived interest in a number of questions. One very important one is that of the government's sources of scientific information.

It is apparent that the scientists who advised the executive branch on this matter were those associated with the military, that is, with the very men who originated the idea. Such advice can hardly be considered disinterested; indeed, Secretary General U Thant in a speech made before the explosion spoke of the many scientists who condemned the test as men "with no axe to grind." The implication was obvious.

Nevertheless, it might be possible to hold the opinion that responsible government officials were perfectly aware of the possible consequences of the explosion--although Kennedy's flippant press conference remark casts some doubt on this--and yet felt that urgent military needs justified the risk.

I think this opinion may be proved incorrect by the example of the so-called Westford Project. This was the proposal to girdle the earth with a belt of fine metal needle, thus forming an artificial ionosphere to be used for long-distance communications. The International Astronomical Union, including the U.S. delegation, condemned the Westford experiment because of its probable deleterious effect on radio astronomical observations.

Nevertheless, the experiment was carried out, and Westford scientists assured the government that the possible bad effects would be negligible--foreshadowing future statements about high altitude nuclear explosions. Perhaps unfortunately, the needles falled to orbit, so we cannot be absolutely certain that the effects would have been as bad as anticipated.

Thus, no scientific conclusions may be drawn from the Westford Project. But one can conclude that when a military project is in question, the government's scientific counsel is dominantly that of groups associated with the military. This follows from the fact that although the Westford Project was not vital to the national defense (as one might argue the nuclear test was), still the petition of the professional astronomers of the world was ignored.

It was always been the just duty of the military to plan for the defense of the nation, but in the United States the decision to implement these plans has traditionally been reserved for civilians. It is unfortunate that the foundation of civilian control is now being eroded by the predominance of military sources of scientific information. The creation of a new belt of ionizing radiation may be considered a military misfortune; if son, let us hope never to see a disaster. Paul R. Chernoff '62.