NAT SCI TUTORIAL

The Mail

To The Editors of the CRIMSON:

If Mr. Beyer, the editor who wrote the story "Tutorial for the Natural Sciences" in the last Weekly Review, had kept his promises to check back with us before submitting his story for publication, we should not be asking you now to correct two errors in it.

(1) The conflict which you imply between the departments of Chemistry and Physics does not exist. Course and tutorial offerings will differ from one department to the next for many reasons. One important factor is whether a given department could obtain the necessary authorization to expand and could find the necessary high-quality Faculty in its own field, even if it decided that tutorial on a substantial scale is needed for its students.

(2) Your implication of a value judgement concerning Chemistry tutorial is also erroneous. You quoted one of us as saying about the tutorial, "Quite a few are applying; some find it useful, others not so useful." What you will find in your notes is that many of the Chemistry and Physics students are finding it useful to apply to the new tutorial which is now open to them, and others are at this time not applying for it. Gerald M. Holton, professor of Physics,   Lionel Salem, lecturer in Chemistry.