Harriers Fall Behind Pace In IC4A Run

Hamlin Finishes 25th Behind Yale's Mack

Crimson cross country captain Ed Hamlin and his teammates could not keep up with the pace set by two Villanova runners at the IC4A meet in New York City yesterday, and finished lower in the race than had been expected.

During the last couple of miles Hamlin slipped into 25th place in the race. His time was a slow 27:00. Ed Meehan and Bill Crain, the other two thirds of the Crimson's "Big Three," were also disappointing, placing 35th and 102nd respectively. Other Harvard harriers finished even lower.

Villanova's Conquest

Coach Bill McCurdy felt that the team suffered a let down after taking second place in the Big Three and Heptagonal meets. "This was not a good performance for us at all," he said. He added that the Crimson runners did not put out as much as usual because there was no feeling of team competition in the race.

McCurdy said that he had never seen two runners dominate a race the way Villanova's Vic Zwaluck and Pat Crayner did. At the three mile mark the two were running neck and neck with a quarter-mile lead over the rest of the field. Crayner finished second behind teammate Zwaluck whose time was 24:47. Villanova then upset Michigan State to win the meet.

The biggest surprise in the IC4A meet was the fifth place finish of Yale's diminutive Bobby Mack. Until a few weeks ago Mack had been regarded as unbeatable in eastern competition, but he placed behind Hamlin in the Big Three race, and behind Hamlin and five others in the Heps. Another Ivy Leagure competitor who ran well was Cornell's Beard who placed 12th.

In the freshman meet Harvard's Walt Hawlett finished 12th after losing fifth place because of taking a wrong turn.