TO PRESERVE THE UNION

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In your November 14 article entitled "Council Discusses Plan to Convert the Upstairs of the Union into a College Center," you accidentally implied, through the modification of the position and wording of my statement, that I and the freshman class are selfishly oblivious to the interests of the upperclassmen.

I would like to clarify my position in the discussion. I agreed with Mr. Russin on the advantages of a college center for both freshmen and upperclassmen. I objected to Mr. Russin's attitude that "The question is not what this year's freshman class wants, but what is best for the University." As a freshman representative at the meeting I pointed out the propriety of at least considering the ideas of the freshmen. If the Union were chosen as the site of the Center, it would only be fair to consider the plan's effect upon present activities there. President Minihan, recognized this need, as he appointed a freshman and an upperclassman as co-chairmen of the committee to investigate the idea.

Furthermore, the article represents the H.C.U.A. discussion as a struggle to adopt a specific proposal. Actually (thanks to the insight of Mr. Russin), the investigation of the problem is just beginning. No decisions have or will be made until there is a through study of the situation. Frederic I. Kass '66.