Crimson Sextet Meets Undefeated St. Nicholas Hockey Club Tonight

By Ronald I. Cohen

The varsity hockey team tonight opens its season against the undefeated Saint Nicholas Hockey Club. Game time at Watson Rink is 8, and seats are unreserved.

The SNHC has tallied five victories and one tie this fall, beating Williams twice, and winning once over Princeton. Brown, and the Potomac Hockey Club. In a game against Yale, St. Nicholas held a 5-2 lead with three minutes to go when a rash of penalties cost them the win. The game ended in a 5-5 drawn.

St. Nick's is made up of former New England college hockey stars, with Princeton. Yale, and Middlebury alumni forming the bulk of the squad.

Last season the Crimson had no trouble overcoming St. Nick's by a score of 5 to 2; Harvard easily controlled the game, outshooting the visitors 36-16. Ex-Princeton goalie Barry Van Gerbig was spectacular for St. Nick's, turning away 36 Crimson drives. He will perform the goaltending chores again tonight.

The offensive power of St. Nick's will pose a serious threat to the Crimson. The club has scored 30 goals in their first four contests, including an over-whelming 16-1 defeat of the Potomac Hockey Club.

Although the Crimson has not officially opened its season, the squad has scrimmage dagainst the United States national team and against Merricac College. The varsity played scoreless hockey against the Nationals, but displayed its scoring potential by netting 12 goals against the poorer Merrimac varsity.

The Harvard team has played one preseason game, winning that 3 to 0 over the alumni. Bill Fryer opened the scoring at 17:07 of the second period by beating Chris Steedman on a hard drive to the upper left-hand corner. A little more than a minute later, All-American defenseman Dave Johnson fooled Steedman on a similar drive.

Early in the third frame. Bill Lamarche took the puck from deep in the Harvard zone and skated the length of the ice to set up the third goal. Treadwell picked up Lamarche's rebound and tucked it behind goalie Steedman for the final tally.

First-string backstop Godfrey Wood came up with 17 saves in two periods for the Crimson, and substitute goalie Brandon Sweitzer turned away seven shots in the final period. J.V. netminder Steedman stopped 38 drives for the alumni.