Short-Handed Track Team Romps Over Tech, 82-27

Crimson coach Bill McCurdy didn't use six of his best performers in Briggs Cage last night, but the track team still managed to swamp the remarkably inept Engineers of M.I.T. The varsity swept three events out of 13 and took both relays in the 82 to 27 shellacking.

With new weight thrower Art Doten sitting out for the evening, the Crimson had managed to take all nine points in the 35 lb. weight event. Olney Croasdale's 49 ft., 10 in. test was good for first. Neal Cartin and Joe Jurek added second and third place points to round out the first event of the meet.

Tom Goddard narrowed the margin for the Techmen with a win in the mile run. The winning time (a slow 4:32.2) was made possible by the absence of McCurdy's top distance talent. The "Big Three" of Ed Hamlin, Eddie Meehan, and Bill Crain didn't compete and the Crimson still took second and third behind Gordard.

The most exciting performance of the lopsided meet was turned in by freshman Chris Pardes, who took two firsts and broke a University record in leading the Yardlings to an 35 to 24 win over their M.I.T. counterparts.

McCurdy also dismissed sprinter Aggrey Awori and Chris Ohiri for most of the evening. Awori would have been good for firsts in both the 40-yard dash and the 40-yard high hurdles, while Ohiri could have added points in the broad jump and dash. The Crimson needed neither of them, picking up 17 of a possible 27 points in the three events.

Hobie Armstrong's 4.6 run in the dash gave the Crimson five first place points. Pete Lamp and Charles Ward added eight more with a one-two finish in the 600 yard run. All in all, the Crimson took first place in ten of thirteen events and spent a good part of the evening talking about Saturday's crucial meet with Army.

Both Ed Hamlin and Bill Crain have been bothered with injuries that kept them from competing in yesterday's meet. Crain's sore knee has kept him out of action since the end of the cross country season and Hamlin's pulled leg muscle could slow him down against Army.

While McCurdy spoke of the problems presented by a strong Army squad, Harvard competed against Harvard in the last event of the night--the two mile relay. The Engineers ("Everybody has already run") didn't bother to enter