Cadets Hold Crimson to Tie; Large Rink Causes Poor Play

By Anthony H. Scholl, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW YORK, Dec. 19--A determined and spirited Army sextet today fought a heavily-favored Harvard six to a 2-2 stalemate at Peekskill.

Coach Cooney Welland's skaters faced the tireless Grey on their larger-than-usual rink. The rink confused and tired the shoddy Crimson team, and glaring mistakes, rather than well-executed plays, highlighted the Harvard game.

Opening the scoring two minutes after the first period began, Army center Mike Thompson slammed a 25-foot slapper past Harvard goalie Godfrey Wood. The rest of the first period saw only further examples of Grey superiority on their home ground.

Army hopes were further boosted at the opening of the second period, when right wing Bart Barry shot a hard 30-foot slap shot into the left-hand corner of the cage. Wood made a stab for it, but his glove only tipped the passing puck.

Crimson tempers began to flare at this point, and Bill Lamarche's second line began to display some of the aggressive hockey shown in earlier games. Lamarche knocked his first goal in close to the end of the second period.

The final period opened with another goal by the Crimson's high scorer. Except for a few penalties and consistently driving Army play, the remainder of the game was uneventful. A five-minute overtime was called for at the end of the game, but produced no score by either team.