Swim Team Churns By Stubborn Maroon Squad

Because of two flashy Springfield swimmers, Harvard had more difficulty than expected in defeating the Maroon Saturday by 60-25.

Springfield's Bill Skoog and Jim Winn smashed three Springfield records and one New England League mark in their effort to upset the highly-favored Crimson. Though Harvard had too much depth for the Maroon the home team did succeed in scaring the Crimson before going down to defeat.

Despite the lopsided score, the outcome wasn't certain until near the end of the contest. Springfield jumped off to an early lead by running away from Harvard in the first event, the 400-yard medley relay. The Crimson quartet of Reisen, Gaffin, Graham, and Brandling-Bennet was no match for a Maroon team anchored by free-styler skoog.

Harvard's Bill Chadsey then raced to first place in the 200-yard freestyle in 2:00.7, and Crimson rooters thought the annual trouncing had begun.

But the fans did not count on Winn who set the first record of the afternoon by winning the 60-yard freestyle in 23.6 seconds *60-yard races are restricted to Springfield and other schools with 20-yard pools). Harvard's Elliot Miller and Steve Marglin took second and third in this event to hold the Maroon lead down.

Led by John Pringle, the varsity 160-yd. medley team didn't strain to win the next event. Still, after Dan Mahoney and Jeff Lewey took first and third respectively in the diving. Harvard led by a more three points.

In the closest race of the afternoon, the 200 yd. butterfly, Skoog nipped Joe Stetz with a New England league record time of 2:13.4. Winn then set the Spring-field stands roaring with his victory over Greg Skalinder in the 100 yd. free style. His time of 51.4 set another Maroon record.

After Winn's win the rest of the meet was all Harvard's. Pringle coasted to victory in the 200. yd. backstroke, and Dave Abramson, swimming his first varsity race, did the same in 500 yd. freestyle. The versatile Pringle then wrapped the meet up for the visitors by snatching first in the 200 yd. breast stroke, with the Crimson's Porky Pitts a close second. Harvard's four-man freestyle relay team barely squeaked out a win in the last event with as unimpressive time of 2:22.4.

In the freshman meet. Harvard won all but one event to squash Springfield 72-22. The undermanned Maroon squad was unable to start more than one swimmer in many of the races. Freestyler John Quinn and butterflyer Eric Kalussman were standouts for the Yardlings