Swimmers Hope to Upset Army; Cadets Favored by 10-Point Lead

Not without hope of victory, the varsity swim team takes on what may be the strongest team in Army history today at West Point. Statistics of past performances indicate that the Cadets should win by about ten points, but statistics ignore the existence of Crimson coach and master strategist, Bill Brooks.

Last year's one point victory over Yale was only one of many fantastic upsets Brooks has pulled off by skillful manipulation of his personnel. There is a feeling around the Indoor Athletic Building that if he can outguess the Army coaching staff Brooks may do it again today.

However, Harvard will need more than strategy to outscore the powerful Black Knights. This Army team is bolstered by last year's plebe squad which smashed several records en route to an almost undefeated season. Their free-style relay last year consistently turned in faster times than the Army varsity, which defeated Princeton in that event.

The Cadets are strong in every event, and have considerable depth to back up their front-line swimmers. When Brooks predicted that his team would have a 8-3 season, Army was one of the squads expected to give trouble.

In order to come home Sunday with their second win the Crimson swimmers will need to turn in their best times ever, and the Cadets will have to suffer a few bad breaks.

Crimson hopes for victory hinge largely on the performances of All-American John Pringle, the most versatile swimmer on the squad. Pringle won the individual medley, the 200-yard breast stroke and the 200-yard backstroke against the flimsy Springfield team.

If Dave Abramson, Bill Chadsey, and Joe Stetz grab a number of firsts and the the depth of the squad comes in with a lot of essential seconds and thirds, the Crimson could win by a hair.