Five Receive New Faculty Positions

Dr. Cart Pfaffmann, a psychologist known for his research on the sense of taste, will be visiting professor of psychology at the University during the academic year 1962-63.

Pfaffmann, who is Professor of psychology at Brown University, has worked to relate human and animal reactions to common tastes with what is known about the physiological activity of the taste nerves and the taste centers in the brain.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Pfaffmann holds the Ph.B. (1933) and M.A. (1936) degrees from Brown, the B.A. (1937) from Oxford University, and the Ph.D. (1939) from Cambridge University. While at Oxford and Cambridge, he was a Rhodes Scholar. He joined the Brown faculty in 1940 and became professor of psychology in 1951.

James Vorenberg '48 will become a professor of Law, effective July 1.

Vorenberg, a native of Cambridge, is a partner in the Boston law firm of Ropes and Gray. In the Harvard Law School he will teach in the field of corporation law.

Vorenberg received the A.B. degree magna cum laude in 1948 and the LL.B. degree magna cum laude in 1951 from Harvard. As a law student, he was president of the Harvard Law Review.

Also, two 24-year-old mathematicians will become assistant professors on July 1. They are Barry Masur, who does research in algebraic topology; and David B. Mumford, whose field is algebraic geometry.

Mazur, a native of New York City, received his Ph.D. degree from Princeton in 1959. During his last year of graduate work, he was a member of the Department of Mathematics at the Institute for Advanced Study. He is a Junior Fellow in the Society of Fellows.

Mumford was a Junior Fellow of Harvard's Society of Fellows from 1953 to 1961, and will receive his Ph.D. in mathematics this March.

And Finally, Dean Stanley F. Teele announces the appointment of Martin V. Marshall as professor of Business Administration, also effective July 1.