Crimson Nine Smashes Jumbos in 6-1 Victory

WEST MEDFORD, April 10--Backed by the strong pitching of Paul Del Rossi and five extra-base hits, the varsity baseball team today romped to a 6-1 victory over Tufts. It was Harvard's first Greater Boston League game of the season.

Del Rossi, a sophomore, struck out six while allowing only one walk. He used a variety of pitches, including a consistently effective change-of-pace, to hold the heavily outclassed Jumbos to seven hits, all of them singles.

Harvard was hitless up to the third inning, when third baseman Mike Drummey sent one screaming into deep left-center field for a stand-up triple. Following him, Terry Bartolet slapped an easy grounder to Tufts shortstop Guidi, but Guidi booted it. Drummey scored and Bartolet, safe on first, made it 2 to 0 on Dave Morse's double to center before the inning was over. The Harvard rally came with two out.

The score remained at 2-0 until the top of the fifth, when the Crimson's slugging power paid off in another run. With two away again, Mike Drummey got a base on balls and promptly stold second. Bartolet sent him across the plate on a looped two-bagger to left.

Tufts finally got its only run in the bottom half of the fifth. Jumbo third baseman Hess, the benificiary of Del Rossi's only walk, advanced to third when Appleton lined a single to right. Hess scored on an error by Crimson shortstop Dave Morse.

From then on, it was Harvard all the way. In the sixth inning, left-handed slugged Phil Bernstein doubled, stold third, and scored on Andy Shea's sacrifice fly.

The Jumbos pulled Loeb out of the game in the seventh and replaced him with lefty fastballer George Tarlow. Paul Del Rossi helped to put his own ball on ice by booming a huge home run into the farthest reaches of left field on Tarlow's first pitch.

The Crimson scored its final tally in the ninth on a fielder's choice.

Harvard managed to squelch a brief threat by Tufts in the sixth. With two out and two men on, Jumbo first sacker Benin took too long a lead off first base and found himself in a pickle. Crimson first baseman Bernstein tagged him as he tried to retreat to the bag.