Lacrosse Team Faces Engineers; Munro Sees Tough Home Opener

When the varsity lacrosse team faces M.I.T. today they will be a little weaker than the team that bested the Engineers by 12 goals a year ago, while the Engineers are certain to field a much stronger team. The result may well lead to what coach Bruce Munro terms a "nip and tuck game situation."

The Crimson's spring tour, "a valuable experience," according to Munro, has helped the team get into better shape but it has also left four Crimson starters with hampering if not disabling injuries.

Captain and star attackman Grady Watts is bothered by a recurring knee injury and fellow attackman Woody Spruance was also hurt on the trip. High scoring midfieler Pete Sieglaff and defenseman "Chunky" Kessler round out the squad's walking wounded. All four players will probably start today, however.

M.I.T. Impressive

Munro's worries are multiplied by M.I.T.'s own extremely impressive spring tour in which the Engineers showed special strength in the midfield position. Munro predicts that "we'll probably have our problems with M.I.T. because our offense is not working well."

The Crimson scoring punch has been potent (42 goals in four games) but most of these tallies have come on what Munro describes as "individual sorties rather than assists." In an attempt to improve team coordination Munro has put special emphasis upon passing and clearing plays in practice drills this week.

Harvard Favored

In spite of these difficulties, the Crimson should beat the Engineers today and Munro admits that he would be "surprised" if the Techmen pull out a victory.

The Crimson defense is working well with Dave Grannis leading the way. Returning letterman Henry Field ("probably the best stick handling defenseman in the league") has recently joined the squad and will start with Grannis and Kessler today. If this defensive unit and goalie Gil Leaf keep Engineer scoring within reason, Crimson scoring power should carry the day.

A possible indication of the relative strengths of the two teams in today's contest would be the scores they totaled against their common opponent, the University on Maryland. The Crimson and M.I.T. both lost, but by the respective scores of 13 to 10 and 13 to 6.