Strong Change Toward Socialism Sweeps Nations, Nikejic Declares

A strong wave of change toward socialism is sweeping almost every nation, Marko Nikejic, Yugoslavia's ambassador to the United States, told a Harvard-Radcliffe International Relations Club meeting last night.

"I've heard socialism called a nineteenth century idea," Nikejic said, "but I feel it is growing in the greater part of today's world." He added that despite socialistic trends in highly developed countries, wide-spread prosperity makes radical change in the United States unlikely.

No National Control

Noting that the combined municipal and state budget in Yugoslavia is twice that of the federal government, the ambassador pointed out that socialism does not imply direct national control. Individual companies, for example, set their own wages.

"We feel that everyone who works should be paid according to what he does," Nikejic stated, explaining that the variable wage is an incentive to greater efficiency.

Although industry enjoys limited freedom in Yugoslavia, all opposition to the government is prohibited. "Very few people would speak against our president," he said, "but if they did, we would not tolerate it."

Yugoslavia supports the absolute sovereignty of all nations, regarding attempts to unify socialistic countries as "reactionary." The ambassador does not feel that consent of the governed is needed, so long as the government is within the country.

Revolution for its own sake is not supported by Yugoslavia, he continued, but stalled social development in colonies may necessitate revolt.

According to Nikejic breakdown of colonialism is characteristic of the present era.

When asked about his country's tendency to employ a double standard in judging the East and West, the ambassador admitted that the West is expected to be wholly "pure."

Questioned about Milovan Djilas, a Yugoslav author recently jailed, Nikejic replied, "I know only what I read in the newspapers.