Tracksters Vie With Army; Mullin Seeks Mile Victory

Refreshed and strengthened by a in Puerto Rico the varsity track today travels to West Point for of the toughest meets of the spring . This will be the season opener the outdoor squad, and the should be extremely close. Both have equal chances of gaining a thin victory.

most exciting and also the most contest today should be the mile, Harvard's Mark Mullin meets Robin Lingle. Lingle beat Mullin earlier in the year, but today could be different.

crucial event is the two mile always a good one in the Army Eddie Meehan and probably will carry the Crimson banners Army's Heps champion John and Ed Straub.

the hammer, Harvard's Ted Balley is the favorite, but the rest of the places are up for grabs. With Art Doten, lost via a broken foot, things might be tough in the 35-pound weight, but Bailey and Larry Clayman are good bets for one-two honors.

Harvard's Rick deLone is the man to watch in the shot, but Cadets Jim Sarn and Jerry Seay might surprise. Sarge Nichols will be going after second place for the Crimson.

DeLone, Clayman, and Nichols should accomplish a clean sweep in the discus, as should Chris Ohiri, Sid Marlin, and Marty Beckwith in the broad jump. This will be the first return to athletic action for Ohiri since he injured his leg in soccer season.

The high jump points could go to anyone as both teams have several six-foot jumpers. Beckwith, Jack Spitzberg, and Ohiri all looked good in Puerto Rico, and might pick up five or eight points with some luck. In the pole vault, however, Harvard will probably be wiped out. Cadet Dick Plymale vaulted 15 ft., 4 in. during spring training, and Harvard's Don Forte has only reached 12 ft., 6 in. thus far.

Hobie Armstrong, a freshman sensation who missed last year's season through ineligibility, could take first in the javelin, but he is untested. John Ahern is Army's leading hope.

In the indoor heps, Army edged Harvard by 3/10 of a point. As the old saying goes, anything can happen today.