Liberal Union, Dems Plan Protests Of HUAC Hearings in Los Angeles

Student groups at the University began planning yesterday for protest action against the upcoming hearings of the House Committee on Un-American Activities in Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles hearings, scheduled to begin Tuesday, represent the first time the Committee has traveled outside of Washington to collect evidence since May 1960. At that time its hearings in San Francisco touched off student riots.

A call for demonstrations of opposition to the HUAC was issued by a group of student political parties currently meeting at Oberlin. The parties are from Oberlin, Michigan, Ohio State and Berkeley.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Liberal Union began yesterday to formulate plans for an anti-Committee rally next week in one of the University's large lecture halls. The meeting will probably be held Wednesday, and will feature as speakers Faculty members who oppose the HUAC.

Students May Testify

The Los Angeles group intends to picket the Committee Tuesday, when the first of the 40 people subpoenaed will appear at the hearings. Reportedly, five students are among those scheduled to testify.

Harry F. Greene '63, president of the Young Democratic Club of Harvard and Radcliffe, said he expects his group to support the Liberal Union's protest meeting.

"In view of the past policies and actions of the Young Democrats, in which we have asserted our continuing oposition to the House Un-American Activities Committee, I think we would agree to take part in any rational demonstration against these hearings," Greene stated. Greene said he might call a meeting tomorrow night of the Young Democrats' executive committee to take an official stand on the Liberal Union's proposed meeting.

Besides organizing the rally, Liberal Union officials said yesterday that they plan to urge students to write their congressmen to protest the Los Angeles hearings.