Nine Tops Cornell 3-1; Ties Middies for First

By Steven V. Roberts

Fastballing Dick Garibaldi pitched the varsity baseball team to a 3-1 victory over Cornell at Ithaca Saturday. Garibaldi, a junior, allowed six hits, walked four, and struck out 11 Big Red batters in posting his second win of the year. He has yet to lose.

Having beaten Pennsylvania Friday in its first league game, Harvard is now tied for first place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League with Navy. Its season record is nine won, one lost.

The Crimson scored in the first inning when Dave Morse blooped a single to right with two outs. Dave Bernstein's towering fly to left was then dropped and Morse, running all the way, scored standing up.

Garibaldi and Cornell's Ray Ratkowsky then commenced a real duel. Big Red threats in the fourth and sixth were erased by catcher Dick Diehl, who picked one runner off second and threw another out trying to steal third.

In the top of the eighth Morse reached first on an error. Bernstein singled him to third, and Curly Combs squeezed the Crimson's second run home. Diehl was hit by a pitch to load the bases and Gavin Gilmore's sacrifice fly ended the Harvard scoring.

The varsity will get its real test when Navy, one of the top teams in the country, plays here Friday, A victory in that one will stamp the Crimson as real pennant contenders. Harvard  1 0 0  0 0 0  0 2 0  --  3 7 1 Cornell  0 0 0  0 0 0  0 1 0  --  1 6 3

GARIBALDI and Diehl; RATKOWSKY, Kaufman (9) and Konstanty, Herbiniak (7).