Council Recommends Change in Parietals

The HCUA approved a report last night urging that House common reoms be kept open until midnight on Fridays and that freshmen be allowed to entertain female guests in their common rooms until midnight Saturdays.

The Council also recommended that "parietal hours be extended until midnight in the Houses on the Saturdays of home football games." It said the present policy of ending parietals at 8 p.m. fails to prevent "serious inebriation or sexual extravagance."

The three proposals were made after consultation with the Masters, Dean Monro, and Dean Von Stade, and will now be submitted to them for approval.

With respect to the rules change for freshmen, the HCUA Parietal Hours Subcommittee said that "since the freshmen are subject to the same rules and regulations as the upperclassmen, they should be allowed equal privileges." But the Committee considered permitting freshmen the same parietal hours as upperclassmen infeasible because of the "impossibility of having effective checkout stations at the numerous entries to the freshman dormitories." But since a Yard policeman regularly locks the common rooms at midnight anyway, a liberalization of the parietal hours in this area was held to be possible