Elliot Supports Tests; Hughes 'Disappointed'

President Kennedy's authorization to Atomic Energy Commission to propose with atmospheric nuclear tests sharply divergent reactions from the professors yesterday.

I am one of those who believe that tests are long overdue," declared Adam Y. Elliott, Leroy B. Williams Professor of History and Political Science. "We were tricked into the first policed discontinuation, and we have for it dearly."

Elliot claimed that the disarmament potentiations in Geneva, which have not a formally abandoned, have in fact a discontinued already because of Russians' lack of good faith and willingness to accept any form of policed test ban."

Stuart Hughes, professor of History independent candidate for the United States Senate from Massachusetts, received with disappointment the news of President's decision to proceed with scheduled tests.

The news is not surprising, but one don't realize how much worse the realize than just contemplating it in the he stated. "I have the hope of the American people will finally and reverse this decision."

Military Advantage

There may be "marginal military advantages that will be gained, Hughes continued, but these are "far outweigh by the dangers of increasing the momentum of the arms race and of hectic damage" to future generations.

Although he said "the decision is a responsible one," Reinhold Niebuhr, sitting professor of Theology, expressed regret over the imminent nuclear tests.

Niebuhr disagreed with Elliott over the timing of the blasts. "I regret that the tests should be announced before the Geneva conference is over," he said. Despite the conference's lack of "obvious success," the negotiations, he believes, have not yet "obviously failed."

The resumption of tests "is an indication of the edge of the abyss on which we are living," concluded Niebuhr.

In considering the effect of the United States' decision on neutral nations, Elliott asserted, "We should consider all opinion and act out of motives of self-preservation and self-respect." He added that the reports of Professor Hans von Bethe of Cornell University, chairman of the President's advisory committee on nuclear testing, prove that the U.S. "has lost ground seriously to the Russians."

Military Advantage

Military Advantage

Military Advantage