Judge Delays Deposition Session In 'Let's Go' Europe Guide Case

The taking of depositions from HSA officials Dustin M. Burke '52, and G. Oliver Koppell '62 for John A. Marlin's suit against the Harvard Student Agencies has been delayed until May 4.

U.S. District Judge Anthony Julian ordered the one week postponement yesterday. He said it would give Francis J. W. Ford, the judge who first handled the case, the opportunity to pass on HSA's motion to exclude questions on the finances of "Let's Go: A Student Guide to Europe" from the deposition session.

Seeks Financial Data

George Waldstein '46, lawyer for Marlin, wanted to ask Burke and Koppell about the finances of the disputed guide at depositions originally scheduled for this Friday.

The date for the hearing before Judge Ford has not yet been decided.

Marlin alleges that the HSA and YTC Universal (North America), a travel agency which co-sponsored the 1961 guide, infringed his copyright and trademark by publishing a 1962 edition of "Let's Go" without his services or consent.

HSA denies Marlin's claims and asserts that Marlin was simply its employee when he wrote the 1961 "Let's Go." It also says an agreement giving him the copyright to the contents of the 1961 guide is invalid.

Meanwhile, YTC Universal, whose president, Henry G. Koppell, is the father of Oliver Koppell, has moved for the dismissal of the portion of the suit against it. The travel agency contends that it is not qualified to do business in Massachusetts and that bringing legal action against it here is improper.

It explains that its only operations in the Commonwealth are the selling activities of two Business School Students who work on a commission basis.

Hearing on the YTC motion has been scheduled for May 7.