TV Drops Show About Abortion

A CBS network TV program, championing the case for legalized abortion, will not be broadcast by WHDH, Boston's local CBS channel. In announcing its decision not to carry the episode of the weekly "Defenders" series, WHDH called it "needlessly offensive to a substantial segment of the audience."

Originally scheduled to appear at 8:30 p.m. this Saturday night, the program entitled "The Benefactors" depicts a successful abortionist who has treated over 1500 women without a single mishap.

The WHDH action probably makes it the first local outlet to refuse the show. Earlier CBS reported that no station had cancelled it although two or three had indicated reservations about carrying it. The usual three sponsors of the show withdrew their support last week but another company has agreed to carry the production.

Although on record against special previews of upcoming shows, CBS provided a special closed-circuit preview of the program last week to its affiliated stations and received the stamp of approval from Robert D. Swezey, director of the National Association of Broadcasters Code Authority. He said the show did not violate the NAB's code.

In its statement the TV station claimed, "WHDH-TV does not shun controversial issues. It cannot condone a fictional dramatic program which, under the guise of entertainment, tries to create sympathy for, and portrays as 'dedicated and highly-principled,' the actions of a doctor in a course of criminal conduct condemned by the laws of every one of the 50 states and the federal government."