Seniors' Four Favorite High School Teachers Will Receive Honors

Four secondary school teachers have been selected by a special Faculty committee to receive recognition, during Commencement Week. The teachers were nominated by members of the graduating class.

Chosen for "significant impact on their students," the teachers will receive Distinguished Secondary School Teaching Awards and checks for $1,200 at a reception and dinner in the Harvard Faculty Club on Wednesday, June 13.

To be honored are Miss Mardonna Bartholet, of Edina-Morningside (Minnesota) High School, Roy Battenberg, of St. Louis (Missouri) Country Day School, Miss Mae Neuber, of Idaho Falls (Idaho). High School, and Mrs. Eva Shull, of Hyde Park High School in Chicago.

Thomas E. Crooks, Chairman of the Faculty Committee on Teaching as a Career which made the selection, took the opportunity to praise the quality of secondary school instruction across the nation.

The teachers chosen, "represent their profession and the hundreds of teachers remembered with warmth and gratitude by Harvard students," he said.

Miss Bartholet, who teaches Social Studies, was nominated by John W. Windhorst, Jr. '62 of Dunster House and Minneapolis, Minn. Mr. Battenberg, who teaches German, was nominated by William M. Tucker '62 of Kirkland House and Clayton, Mo. Rodney H. Merrill '62 of Lowell House and Idaho Falls, Idaho, nominated Miss Neuber, a History teacher; and Robert W. Bennett '62 of Eliot House and Chicago nominated Mrs. Shull, who teachers Mathematics.

The Awards were made possible by an anonymous donor. This year is the second they have been given.