Harvard Group Enters Elephant in Big Race

At least nine schools, including Harvard, have officially entered the first U.S. intercollegiate Elephant Race, to be hold this Friday at Orange County State College in Fullerton, Calif. Last Friday night a group of students informally organised as the Harvard Elephant Racing Association made arrangements for the elephant Sonita, who makes her home at Jungleland.

Ernest Becker, dean of students at Orange State, said the Harvard entry was "a great thing for the men." He indicated the HERA delegation would be warmly welcomed and during their stay in Fullerton.

The participation of a Harvard-backed elephant has attracted local and national interest. The race may be televised, although this is us certain.

The group needs to raise a minimum of 3450 to finance the elephant, and one delegate. Preferably, they would like have $650 in order to send two persons. The elephant and its trainer will cost $250 for the day's racing.

The money is expected to come from undergraduate donations. Up to now, about $300 has been pledged. "Every little bit will help," reports Joseph M. Russia '64, who is heading the project. People who have pledged already, or who wish to give money, should turn in their donations to Russin, or Peter C. Goldmark '62 in the next two days.

HERA has tentatively decided to hold a rally Tuesday night to explain the project more fully and to aid in the collection campaign. Details of the meeting will be disclosed tomorrow.

Sonita is a four ton, 11 ft female who has experience in the movies. HERA people are hopeful that she will be the oldest female in the herd, thus giving her the position of natural leadership so important in events of that kind.

Late last week Dean Becker indicated that a group of Yale students had expressed interest in the race. In view of elephants in the mammoth derby, Orange State has declined Yale's request, noting that since Harvard is the oldest and most respected educational institution in the country, it naturally has first preference.

Orange State, a new school in the California state college system, is scheduled to grow to more than 25,000 students within 15 years. Right now the school has large tracts of unimproved land which, according to Backer," make ideal elephant pastures."

Cal Tech, Cal Polytech, Santa Monica, Northrop Tech, Chapman, Fullerton Jr. College and Orange State are among the schools entered. Washington State and UCLA are reportedly looking for elephants