High-School Teachers To Study at Harvard

Fifteen teachers of English, history, science, and social studies from high schools scattered throughout the country will spend next year at the University as John Hay Fellows.

The Hay fellows do not have a fixed schedule of classes to attend and will not work toward a degree. Instead, they will "read, study, reflect, associate with scholars, and refresh themselves intellectually" under the terms of the program.

Five other U.S. colleges are associated with the program, which this year will allow 75 teachers in all to pursue individual study along the lines of their own choosing: the University of Chicago, Columbia, Northwestern, and the University of California.

The fellows will meet weekly with a university advisor to plan their work. The meetings are designed to acquaint the teachers, most of whom are from the social sciences or humanities, with scholars from all disciplines.

Among the states represented by the 15 high-school teachers coming to the University under the program are New York, Ohio, Illinois, California, Masschusetts, and Michigan.