Wittgenstein's positive Role in Talk

first glance the philosophy Wittgenstein seems and negative; for he philosophy to the task of "uncovering and he argued that a large of philosophical questions answerable.

Rogers Albritton, in the of a series of lectures on philosophy, positive elements in the of the Austrian linguistic : the replacement of but indefinite no less interesting definite which have answers."

Wittgenstein viewed philosophy battle against the of our understanding by of our language," a battle to "let the fly out of bottle." This concept contrasted with the of philosophy by the "deepest " of the existentialists, Heidegger -- "fulfilled to the Being of ."

INTRICATE NET

This "diagnosis of philosophy's invalidism," Albritton said, warned that the of philosophical lies hidden "by an net of resemblances the philosopher's use of crucial words and other or possible uses of the words and phrases."

it is by "looking into the of our language" that we ourselves from the of our understanding; , Albritton pointed out, to in philosophical by way of some study of is a characteristic of philosophers.

traced the development Wittgenstein's theories of beginning with logical , which he later abandon- like all other metaphysical , he discovered, it too was of nonsensical sentences.

Wittgenstein compared not to pictures but tools, by which people do in the world rather than hold to it.

This later work, Albritton said, Wittgenstein explored the that at least some typical of philosophy have no ; to give them right or answers would be to alter existing conventions by which with such answers are .

INTRICATE NET

INTRICATE NET

INTRICATE NET