International Seminar Begins Eleventh Session

The Summer School's outstanding International Seminar program opened its eleventh session Tuesday with 43 influential young people in politics, science, journalism, and the arts from 30 different countries.

The seminar program has grown steadily since its initiation in 1952 by Henry A. Kissinger '50, professor of Government and executive director of the project. This year's group of 43 people, picked from more than 800 applicants, is the largest ever enrolled in the Seminar.

The Seminar provides an opportunity for promising individuals from abroad to discuss the nature of present day problems with their contemporaries in other countries and the United States.

Every Wednesday evening from July 11 to August 15, four or five members of the Seminar will participate in public forum discussions. The topics will not be selected until later this week, but they will deal generally with major political, economic, social and cultural problems of interest to the panel members.

Each weekly program will start at 8 p.m. in Burr lecture hall. The structure of the forums will vary between debate and discussion, but the participants will answer audience questions at the end of each meeting. Every delegate will have a chance to take part in at least one of the public forums.

The Seminar attempts to attract people whose normal activities prevent extended periods of absence from their own countries and thus prohibit them from taking part in existing exchange programs. Several of the participants are members of parliaments and political leaders in their own nations.

Since the seminar is particularly designed for individuals achieving eminence in some field of endeavor all expenses of the participants, including round trip transportation to Cambridge, are assumed by the Seminar. The cost per member is about $1500 and is met by foundation grants and private contributions.

Participants will become acquainted with distinguished guest speakers from the professions, labor unions, industry, government literary and artistic circles. They will also visit industrial plants, newspapers, and public institutions in the Boston area.