Kigundu Claims Moderates Will Survive in Uganda

By Burton Selman

Radical nationalists will not oust the present moderate leaders of Uganda, an official of that country predicted at Wednesday's International forum.

E. W. Kigundu pointed out that while many newly independent African nations have only a one-party system, Uganda boasts a well-organized, legalized opposition party. The British parliamentary system operates in spirit as well as in form, Kigundu said, and there is no reason why this situation should change.

Also speaking at the forum, an Israeli editor said that his country and the new African states are bound together "by the common search for tomorrow," for the destiny that they shall fulfill in the world. The pioneering spirit of Israel's youth, Moshe Zak stated, helps explain the extent of her technical aid.

Zak said that the people of Israel feel a special kinship toward the African nations, which have also had a long history of suffering and oppression. The Africans welcome such aid because they admire the success of Israel in building a homogeneous state out of extremely heterogeneous elements, a fact which holds important social lessons for the new multi-racial and multi-lingual communities in Africa.

There are two other reasons why the African states turn to Israel for help, Zak said; first, because Israel is a small country and understands the problems of small countries; and second, because Israeli technicians work in their shirt-sleeves with citizens of the lands they go to.

Israeli assistance, added Zak, helped establish the Black Star shipping line and the national airline of Ghana. Over 800 Israeli doctors, engineers, and technical experts have been dispatched to the new African states.

Manuel Sai of Ghana said that as a result of independence, national pride may soon conquer one evil associated with the old colonial mentality: an over-emphasis on extreme accuracy at the expense of speed in the civil service.

Although he acknowledged his country's gratitude for the valuable heritage received from the British period of rule, Sai pointed out that in the years since independence, Ghanians have made rapid forward strides.