Galbraith Asks Leave, Will Remain in India

John Kenneth Galbraith, United States Ambassador to India and Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics (on leave), has officially applied for an extension of his leave of absence to next September, President Pusey said yesterday.

The Corporation has reached a decision on whether or not to grant Galbrait the extra five months in India, but an announcement will not be made until next week.

The second year of Galbraith's leave expires late this March, and two years is usually the absolute limit Faculty members are allowed to be absent from the University in Government service and still retain their appointments.

However, President Kennedy has asked Galbraith to remain at his post through the spring because of the Indian-Ccinese border crisis.

As yet, the Corporation has received no notice from Edwin O. Reischauer, United States Ambassador to Japan and professor of Japanese History, about his plans. Reischauer's second year of absence ends on March 15, but his is expected to resign his Faculty appointment and stay on in Japan.