Cornell Runners Top Triangular Meet

Cornell's Jim Byard ran away from Crimson star Walt Hewlett, and the Big Red cross-country team nosed out Brown and Harvard in a triangular meet in Cambridge Saturday. The final score was Cornell 37, Brown 29, Harvard 45.

What was supposed to be a tight duel between Byard, Hewlett, Cornell's Steve Machooka and two Brown runners turned into a runaway as the Big Red's ace trotted home in front by 100 yards. His time of 24:50 was six seconds of the Franklin Park course record set by Hewlett against B.U. on Tuesday.

Hewlett, 23 seconds behind the winner, led Machooka by 24 seconds. Brown's Vie Boog and Dave Fariey were within six seconds of Machooka.

Captain Ed Meehan was the second Crimson runner to finish. He came in seventh, followed by Bill Crain in ninth. John Ogden in 11th, and sophomore Longdon Burwell in 16th.

It was the first defeat of 1963 for the Crimson squad, but by no means an unexpected one. Meehan, in fact, was pleased by the results. "I think we run a pretty strong race on the whole," he said. "We have several runners who are just coming back after injuries. Our team is improving, and I think the others are probably as good now as they'll ever be."

Meehan, Crain, and letterman Bob Anscheuts, who ran 25th, have been hampered by early-season injuries and are not yet in top form. They should be ready, however, by the time the Crimson meets Cornell and Brown again in the Heptagonals and the ICIA.

Other encouraging factors were the strong performance turned in by the Crimson sophomores. Hewlett and Burwell placed, and Dave Allen, Roger Smith, and Tom Black were the sixth, seventh, and eighth runners to finish for Harvard. The second year men have been getting stronger with every race, and they should be even better by the end of the year.

Hewlett, though he lost to Byard, outran some of the strongest runners. In the Ivy League in Machooks, Boog, and Farley. His time was 29 seconds slower than his course record, but a cold, strong wing slowed up the entire race considerably.

Harvard's freshmen lost to Brown and Cornell too, although the Crimson's Jim Smith finished first. Smith led Brown's Bill Burch to the wire by 19 seconds, but Brown swept four of the next five places to win with 20 points to 45 for Cornell and 48 for Harvard.

Dave Rice took fourth place for the Crimson, but the next Harvard runner to finish was Ed Lews in 11th. George Schrander and Doug Raymond also scored for the Crimson.