Leverett Eleven Garners Victory Over Elephants

Leverett House's football team yesterday dethroned Eliot's perennial gridiron kings, 14-0, handing the Elephants their first defeat in House play since 1961.

The victory almost assures the Bunnies of their first league championship since 1953.

In an offensive romp that kept the Jumbos deep in their own territory for most of the game, the Bunnies scored on 60- and 80-yard drives right through the center of Eliot's 6-2 defense

The Eliot linebackers were playing wide, and the backfield couldn't contain the Bunnies' sustained rushing. The Leverett House team, on the other hand, was primed to Eliot's down-field blocking, and kept the Elephants from penetrating further than the Leverett 35-yard line

Heisler Scores

Leverett House scored its first touchdown in the second quarter when George Heisler made a 10-yard run around left end. A completed pass from Steve Gehlbach to Keith Julian was good for the two point conversion.

Bob Walker culminated an 80-yard march on a 15-yard touchdown run around right end which buried the Elephants in the final quarter.

The decisive factor in yesterday's encounter was a strong Leverett forward wall that opened gaping holes in Eliot's defense, and threw Eliot backs for repeated losses when Leverett was on defense.

As a result of yesterday's game, the Leverett House Bunnies are now undefeated, untied, and unscored-upon in three games.