Grieving Nation Mourns Death of Kennedy; University Cancels All Classes for Today

Yale Game to Be Held At New Haven Saturday

Classes in all branches of the University have been cancelled today. The action, taken in memory of the late President, is unprecedented in Harvard's history.

Following President Lyndon B. Johnson's proclamation of a day of national mourning, Harvard officials announced that none of the University's nine graduate schools or the College would hold classes. Widener, Lamont, and all main libraries will be closed.

The Harvard Yale football game, postponed following the President's assassination, was rescheduled for Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in New Haven, but The Game will not be televised. Today's meeting of Harvard's Board of Overseers has been postponed to Dec. 2.

All hour exams scheduled for today have been either postponed or cancelled.

One extra performance of "The Visit" will be staged tomorrow night. Originally the Loeb had planned a performance tonight, but that has now been cancelled. The Cambridge Society for Early Music concert, with harpsichordist Fernando Valenti, planned for this evening in Sanders Theatre, has been postponed for two weeks. G. Wallace Woodworth, director of the Society, indicated that the concert would be rescheduled for Dec. 9.

The Rev. Charles P. Price '41, University preacher, said that the daily morning prayers in Appleton Chapel at 8:45 a.m. will be devoted to prayers for the late President Kennedy and for President Johnson. A special memorial service for Kennedy, conducted by the Rev. Price, will be held at 12 noon in Memorial Church.

In the Boston area, Brandeis, Boston University, M.L.T., and Tufts also suspended their activities for the day. Most chain stores in Boston and Cambridge will be closed for the entire day while other establishments will follow the recommendation of the Massachusetts Grocers Association and close between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Yale Game Tickets

Yale officials have indicated that all tickets for last weekend's Harvard-Yale football game will be honored Saturday. Refunds for those desiring them will be made through 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Ticket office at 60 Boylston St.; tickets will apparently be resold as they are turned in. In other Ivy action, Dartmouth and Princeton have also rescheduled their game for Saturday, but the Brown-Colgate encounter has been cancelled.

Television networks covering Washington developments yesterday picked up a Harvard Glee Club-Radcliffe Choral Society concert as background music for several scenes of people filling past, the President's casket in the Capitol rotunda. The Glee Club and Choral Society, accompanied by 20 players from the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra, were performing a previously scheduled concert in the Washington National Cathedral.

Never before has the University closed for the death of a Chief of State. Harvard's schedule went unchanged following the death of President Franklin D. Roosevelt '04 and the assassinations of Presidents Abraham Lincoin and James A. Garfield; William McKialey's assassination and the death of Warren G. Harding both occurred during vaction periods.