THE VATICAN COUNCIL

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In the CRIMSON issue of December 6, you reported under the headline "Catholic Council Called Depressing" on my lecture entitled "The Second Session of Vatican 11" presented before the Harvard Catholic Club.

I should like to see my protest recorded against the impression of an antagonistic partisan critique on my part created by a ondontious selection of quostations which were for a large part mained beyond recognition.

Indeed, I pointed out in my opening remarks that during the first weeks the atmosphere in St. Peter's a Basilica was depressed (not "depressing") due in trustration on the part of the progressive wing upon realization that the control theological committee remained firmly in the hands of the conservatives. In some detail I described the strong support for measures of reform on the Council providing some basis for and expectation on the part of the Information Churches, represented through delegate observers.

Convinced that an commonical approachement is not served by expressions of benevalence but rather by a ment of the existing differences between the two makes in Western Carintianity, I had occasion to call attention in a series of which continue to form obstacles to . The fact that I could indicate that every one of my critical marginalls had been touched spot by our or more med to me the true measure of the nites of this Second session. A transcript of this paper is to be published in the forth issue of Current. Ho A. Chairman   Professor of Church History