Two Crimson Line Stars Named to All-Ivy Team

Two Harvard linemen were named yesterday to the official coaches' All-Ivy League team for 1963, a squad dominated by players from co-champions Princeton and Dartmouth.

Captain and guard Bill Southmayd, and center Brad Stephens, two men who were given a large part of the credit for the Crimson's victories over the League champions, made the first team.

End Tom Stephenson, tackle Jeff Pochop, guard John Hoffman, and fullback Bill Grana were awarded positions on the second eleven.

The coaches once again had trouble with the backfield selections and this year decided to put five backs on the first unit. Last year there was considerable criticism when three quarterbacks were given the honor.

Cornell's Gary Wood, the Ivy record holder in total offense, and Princeton's Cosmo Iacavazzi, the League's top scorer, were unanimous backfield selections.

Along with Wood, Columbia's boy wonder Archie Roberts and Dartmouth's partly crippled halfback Tom Spangenberg repeated on the first team. The other man in the first string backfield was Princeton wingback Jim Rockenbach.

Besides Southmayd, Stephens and Parry, the first line included Dartmouth end Scott Creelman, the boy who recovered the fumble that caused Princeton's downfall last Saturday; Princeton's Bill Guedel and Yale's Ab Lawrence at tackle; and Dartmouth's guard Bill Curran.

Two Brown backs, sophomore Rob Hall and senior Jan Moyer, were in the second backfield with Grana, as was Randy Egloff, who did so well for Yale last week. Also named were Columbia's center John Strauch, Yale end Frost Hubbard, Dale Runge, a Dartmouth tackle, and Yale guard Ralph Vandersloot.