Kenneth S. Lynn to Take Leave; Will Teach in Madrid Next Year

Kenneth S. Lynn '45, associate professor of English, will take a leave of absence next year to teach at the University of Madrid.

English 70, a survey course in American literature for which Lynn gives the Spring term lectures, will be given next year by Alan E. Heimert '49, assistant professor of English, and Perry G.E. Miller, Powell M. Cabot Professor of American Literature.

Heimert will give the Fall term lectures and Miller, returning after a year at the University of California, will teach the Spring term.

The State Department is financing most of Lynn's year in Spain as part of a program to establish a Chair of American Studies at the University of Madrid.

Lynn will teach one survey course in American literature and possibly a survey of American social and political institutions.

In past years Miller and Lynn taught English 70 together, with Miller teaching the Fall term. This year the Fall lectures were given by Edward H. Davidson, Visiting Professor of American Literature.

Although Miller will no longer be giving his well-known lectures on the Puritans, he will hardly be treading in unfamiliar ground. His prolific writings include an analysis of American thought from the Civil War to World War I and other works on the literature of the period, especially in New England.

Heimert currently teaches a course in seventeenth century religious literature, centering on Puritan writings and the response to them in England and American.