Seek Conservative Eli Faculty

Fifty conservative seniors at Yale have raised $35,000 in pledges to further the selection of faculty members of their political view. The aim of the long range project is "to make Yale a market-place of ideas and a hotbed of debate, rather than a hotbed of conservatism," a Conservative Fund founder told the Yale News.

The fund eventually would increase the reputation of conservatives by offering economic assistance to attract them to the faculty. Its influence would come into play only after the nomination of such a faculty member, and would probably consist in establishing an endowed chair to attract the candidate to Yale.

***

Twelve of 12 members of the University of Chicago student government executive council who supported a resolution condemning the Cuban blockade were recalled by a secret student referendum. Voting on each was by separate ballot, but in most instances slightly more than half of the 1100 undergraduates voting favored recall.

Eleven of the recalled members were members of POLIT, a liberal student political party which still retains control of the student government. A student referendum shortly after the blockade favored President Kennedy's actions, 4-1.

***

A scheduled appearance at North-Western University by American Nazi Party commander George Lincoln Rockwell was cancelled by University President J. Riscoe Miller. The official statement said: "No good purpose would be served in granting Rockwell the privilege of addressing students at North-Western. What he stand for ... is the antithesis of all we stand for. He ... would deny the freedom of speech to any group or individual with whose philosophies he disagreed.

***

Smith College has applied for $25,000 in student loans for the spring semester under the National Defense Education Act. Emergency loans for the semester could not have been made without the NDEA assistance, Sophian reported.

***

One hundred per cent bicker was achieved at Princeton this year, with every sophomore who wanted a bid to an eating club getting one.