Student Projects In Arts Center

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Either through lack of space or editorial choice, your story on the Visual Arts Center in the CRIMSON of February 12 neglected to include the positive plans of the Center for extra-curricular activities, along with the "negative" aspects of the situation with which you led your story. The Visual Arts faculty committee definitely wishes to encourage and support the many varieties of arts activities that now exist and may develop in the Union, the Houses, and at Radcliffe.

Excellent informal classes in drawing and painting are now conducted at Adams, Quincy, and Eliot, and from this start, we hope to see expansion into programs that will include still photography, film, and perhaps other areas of the visual arts. We hope in the future to work closely with WHRB in developing a television program, and with student moviemakers.

During this spring term, members of of the faculty committee will hold conversations and meetings with administrators, organizations and individual students who are interested in an active extra-curricular visual arts program, in order to gather information that will lead to a valuable program and policy in this area.

We shall, of course, welcome informed criticism of our programs, once they are put into operation. In the meantime, we hope that all students and faculty members will visit the new Carpenter Center. Our hours are 9 - 5, Monday through Friday. Peter D. Shultz   Executive Secretary