YD's to Choose President

Craig Smith '64 and Jefferson Frazier '63 will compete tonight for the presidency of the Young Democratic Club of Harvard and Radcliffe. Over 200 members are expected to attend the spring term election meeting at 8 p.m. in 2 Divinity Ave.

Both Smith and Frazier have conducted vigorous campaigns during the past several weeks, visiting members in their rooms and soliciting their votes by mail. The candidates do not differ politically--both are liberals--so the contest has been fought on a more esoteric basis.

The issues, such as they are, center around the internal organization and activities of the club. Smith, currently first vice-president of the YDCHR, emphasizes what he calls "educational functions" especially dinners with prominent Democrats.

Frazier Wants De-Centralization

Frazier holds that the policy committee is the most important aspect of the club. He also favors "de-centralization" through a system of House coordinators.

Harry F. Green '63, outgoing YDCHR president, is remaining officially neutral, but is known to be privately in sympathy with Frazier's candidacy. Frazier has been club secretary under Greene.

"Issues" such as Frazier's article in the latest New Rupublic and Smith's card file on club membership have generated more interest than the one on which the campaign is ostensibly being fought.

Frazier used the article, a report on liberalism in South Carolina, as an important point in his campaign. Smith's file contains mostly names and addresses for mailing purposes, but also contains such information as what club activities members have participated in.

Another subject of controversy has been the signing up of new members by each side as part of the campaign. Smith's campaign manager, Thomas J. Rockford '64, club treasurer, claims that his side has recruited 35 new members and Frazier's side 30. Frazier charged last night that Smith signed up "many more than 35" and denied that he himself has recruited as many as 30.