Undefeated Crimson Trackmen Seek Big Three Laurels This Afternoon

The varsity track team puts its Big. Three title on the line in New Haven this afternoon, and in spite of a 6-0 season, its chances of retaining the crown are only fair. Much will depend on where Princeton picks up its individual points while Harvard and Yale scramble for team honors.

In spite of a championship cross country squad, coach Bill McCurdy will be plagued with weaknesses in the middle and distance running events, where Yale's Bobby Mack holds a definite edge. McCurdy admits that the Crimson's lack of running depth "presents a real problem," but hopes to score heavily in the field events to off-set the Bulldog advantage.

The varsity should do well in the broad jump with Chris Ohiri and Aggrey Awori both competing. Crimson points in the 35 lb. weight should more than compensate for Eli strength in the shot if Art Doten and Olney Croasdale perform as expected.

Unfortunately, the Bulldogs are strong in the high jump. The Crimson will have to depend on the efforts of Princetonian John Harknett to keep the Elis' scoring down in this event.

Harvard can forget all about the pole vault with Princeton's Charlie Mitchell competing. Mitchell's 15 ft. efforts put him in a class all by himself and the Yalie vaulters will be good enough for second and third.

In the running events, Yale's Bobby Mack should place first in the two events that he enters. Mack can win in the mile, the 1000 yd. run, and the two mile, but he can only compete in two of the three. Princeton's Pete Hoey could give Ed Hamlin and Eddie Meehan as much trouble as Mack.

Harvard Strong in Dash, Hurdles

Crimson points should be more plentiful in the dash and the hurdles with Awori, Ohiri, Hobie Armstrong, and Hank Hatch competing.

Depending on Princeton efforts in the mile, dash, and the high jump, Yale and Harvard should approach the relays with a one to four point Crimson advantage. Bulldog strength in the relays makes the difference crucial.

With a friendly assist or two from the Tigers of Princeton, the varsity can win its second Big Three title in as many years.