Tea Now Even Less Like Charles; Central Kitchen Called 'Perfect'

Sanitary conditions in the Central Kitchen, which alarmed both engineers and students a month ago, are now "100 percent perfect," Dr. Benjamin Ferris, Director of Environmental Health and Safety for the University Health Services, announced today.

The partially completed February report of sanitation inspector Wilfred B. Krabek says that a concentrated effort has eliminated both bacteria-infested tea and dirty kitchen conditions.

Krabeck's report for last August stated that the tea served in the College was comparable in bacteria count to a one-to-ten dilution of the Charles River. After the report was released the Kirkland pantry began to make their tea with an instant solution, which greatly reduced the contamination. Most of the rest of the kitchens have now started to use this preparation.

The inspector found that one cause of unsanitary conditions in the kitchens was defective equipment. The situation was improved when the kitchen replaced broken circulating pumps which were failing to wash the dishes properly.

Bad Dishwasher

"Conscientious work by kitchen directors has virtually eliminated unsanitary conditions. I cannot congratulate them enough on their prompt and willing cooperation," said Ferris. He speculated that what problems remain might be due in part to difficulties caused by large units for washing pots and pans in the Central Kitchen and the Union.