HCUA Postpones Decision On National Student Assn.

The Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs broke out in controversy Monday night on the question of whether it should continue to participate in the National Student Association (NSA). Final vote was postponed until next week's meeting.

Marc J. Roberts '64, president of the NSA National Executive Committee, told the Council that the NSA constitution required delegates to be officially sponsored by their student government. Therefore, if Harvard is to stay in NSA, the selection of delegates must come through the HCUA.

Some council members argued that the non-political nature of the HCUA should preclude sponsoring delegates to an organization that is "obviously political." Reed Ellis '65 said the NSA resolutions against the House Un-American Activities Committee and nuclear testing are "neither non-political nor relevant to student government."

Roberts claimed that the purpose of NSA is "not to dabble in politics," but to educate the undergraduate community on issues which affect them. The issue of the Un-American Activities Committee is relevant, he said, only because it involves academic freedom at universities.

Evan A. Davis '66 suggested that the HCUA might sponsor delegates, but instruct them to abstain from voting on controversial political issues. Other council members felt, however, that if Harvard stays in NSA, it should "stay in all the way."

In other business, the Council passed a motion by John P. Russo '65 to create an ad hoc committee to supervise the Toronto Exchange Program. Russo said that Toronto students would not be permitted by their schools to visit Harvard under the program, unless it was supervised by the HCUA.