Police to Check For Unregistered Autos

Cambridge police officers are checking all out-of-State automobiles in the Harvard Square area in an intensive effort to discover both scufflaws and unregistered motor vehicles.

According to police chief Daniel J. Brennan, many Harvard students are among the motorists who will be subject to criminal prosecution if apprehended.

The Chief explained that a number of Harvard students have failed to comply with a recent law requiring them to register their cars with the city and that some of these owners of unregistered cars have failed to pay parking fines.

"If fines are not paid within 21 days of ticketing, and if the owner is apprehended and found guilty, a criminal conviction goes on his record," Brennan added. So far two Harvard students have been taken to city court and fined up to $50.

However, Brennan stated that guilty parties who voluntarily appear at the Cambridge police station will be required to pay only the amount of their fine and will not be prosecuted in court.

Nearly 4000 Harvard students have registered their cars with the Cambridge police this year.