Saltonstall Requests Guide Listing Jobs For College Students

Disturbed over the insufficient information available to college students interested in summer employment with the Federal government, Sen. Leverett Saltonstall '14 (R-Mass.) Introduced yesterday a Senate resolution to print a list of all Federal non-clerical positions likely to be open this summer.

The resolution, which needs only Senate approval, would provide for the printing of information already compiled by the Library of Congress on the 12,033 jobs college students held during the summer of '61. Jobs would be classified in the proposed Senate document according to department and job description. Location and number of positions available would also be listed.

Saltonstall, who has been considering the resolution for about one year, has proposed it independent of recent White House action to establish a "clearing house" for summer job applicants.

The White House plan, which was clarified last week, is concerned with better handling of the applications once they have been received. Saltonstall's resolution is intended to disseminate information to encourage more applications.

Saltonstall's legislative assistant told the CRIMSON' that the resolution will be sent to the Senate Rules Committee, where prompt action is expected.