Awori Seeks Three Firsts In New York IC4A Meet

Harvard track star Aggrey Awori will attempt to become the first athlete in history to achieve a "triple" in the IC4-A indoor track championships, when Harvard competes in today's meet in New York.

Awori will be trying to duplicate his performance in last week's Heptagonal Meet in Ithaca, New York, when he won firsts in 60-yard dash, 60-yard hurdles, and broad jump. In scoring his triple in the Heptagonal, the sophomore from Uganda set meet records in all three events.

Awori's pre-meet performances make him the favorite today in each of his events. His toughest competition should come from Tom Jackson of Morgan State in the 60-yard dash. Jackson has posted a time of 6.1, which is equal to Awori's best this year.

Teammate Chris Ohiri should push Awori in the broad jump. Soccer star Ohiri previously held the Crimson in-door broadjump mark at 24-4, until Awori recently jumped 24-51/2. Having recovered from a pulled muscle, Ohiri should be in top form for the meet, and may give Harvard a 1-2 finish in the broad jump.

If Awori garners his triple, he will become the first trackman in Madison Square Garden history to accomplish such a feat. Only one man has ever before scored dash-hurdles double in the Garden. This was Hayes Jones in the 1960 New York Athletic Club meet.

Harvard will send twelve other athletes, including Jack Spitzberg in the high jump and hurdles. Art Doten and Oiney Croasdale in the weight events and Bill Crane in the two mile run.