Head of Medical School Admissions Puts Stress on Scientific Training

Candidates for admission to medical schools need "more than a superficial knowledge of the sciences," Dr. Perry J. Culver '37, chairman of the committee of admissions of the Harvard Medical School said Wednesday.

In what he termed "a policy statement of the medical school," Culver stressed the importance of a strong science back-ground for every college graduate, particularly those interested in a medical career.

Culver added that he was in complete agreement with statements made by William Barry Wood '32, chairman of the microbiology department at John Hopkins, at Dunster House Jan. 8.

Pre-Meds Slight Science

Wood had attacked the tendency of pre medical students to slight science courses, stating that doctors must acquire much of their scientific background as undergraduates. Wood had commented, "One can no longer be a first-rate doctor without beinng a first-rate scientist."

However, Culver stressed that the pre-medical student should get a liberal education. He feared that among pre-meds the tendency is to become technicians. This is particularly true, he observed, at those colleges that have a set pre-medical curriculum.

The problem is not in stating that every student should get a liberal education. The difficulty, Culver added, is that no one knows what a liberal education is. Adequate experience in science is needed for everybody.

Elaborating on this point, Culver said that the person who is a non-science major should take at least four courses in the sciences at as advanced a level as he can handle. "Advanced placement is good in this respect, in that it permits boys and girls to start work on a real college level, not with just a survey course of what they did in high school."

However, Culver stated that the medical school has reservations about accepting students after only three years of college experience. "In three years most people can't do everything. There is, however, no set policy."