New Appointee to MTA Board May Back Univ. Bid for Yards

Governor Peabody's appointment of Edward Dana to the chairmanship of the M.T.A. trustees might increase Harvard's changes of purchasing the Bennett St. M.T.A. yards, a public official said in an interview yesterday.

If the state Executive Council approves Dana's appointment, he will replace present trustee Anthony D. Pompeo, who has been opposed to Harvard's purchase of the yards. The official sourse emphasized, however, that Executive Committee approval is "a big if."

"The Committee probably has no objection to Dana's merit, but unfortunately there's a lot of politics involved." He pointed out that Dana is a Republican, and the Executive Committee, which is Democratic, might be afraid of losing the political patronage connected with the post of M.T.A. trustee chairman.

The opposition of M.T.A. general manager Thomas J. McLernon's predecessor as general manager, he said, and the two men "disagree on a number of issues in regard to M.T.A. management."

According to the official there is presently "some intense lobbying going on against the approval of Dana."

Gov. Peabody said yesterday that he was optimistic as to the chances of Dana's approval by the Committee. He cited Dana's record of public service, saying he's a man amply qualified for the job."