Nine Members of Faculty Appointed Full Professors

Nine Faculty members--five social scientists and four scientists--have been promoted to full professorships, effective July 1.

In the Social Sciences, the new professors will include three historians, Ernest R. May, Elliott Perkins '23, and Richard E. Pipes; Otto Eckstein in Economics; Stanley H. Hoffmann in Government.

The four scientists are biologists George L. Clarke '27 and Paul Levine; astronomer Edward Lilley; and mathematical linguist Anthony G. Oettinger '51.

Except for Perkins, who is lecturer in History, they are all associate professors now.

Among the social scientists, May, an authority on American diplomatic history, received the George Louis Beer Prize of the American Historical Association in 1959 for his study of The World War and American Isolation, 1914-1917. Perking, a specialist on England in the 18th century, will relinquish the post as Master of Lowell House which he has held since 1940, to devote full time to teaching.

Pipes is associate director of the Russian Research Center and an authority on the history of the Soviet Union.

Eckstein is a specialist on public finance and a consultant to the President's Council of Economic Advisers, the Treasury Department, and the Rand Corporation. Hoffmann is an analyst of international relations and a specialist in French government.

In the sciences, Clarke, who is Marine Biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, is studying the processes and activities of marine life, especially plankton. Levine, a geneticist, is the author of Genetics, a widely-used college text.

Lilley helped design the radiometer which measured the temperature on Venus during the recent Mariner II space probe. Oettinger has been directing Harvard's project on machine translation of Russian into English.