Varsity Heavies Challenge World Champion Germans

The World Champion German Ratseburg Rowing Club will give Harry Parker's undefeated heavyweight crew its first real test of speed in Philadelphia Saturday where the Crimson races Penn and Navy for the Adams Cup. On tour of the U.S. this spring, the unbeaten German eight will not be eligible for the Cup itself.

"We know we're a strong crew and that we row well, but there's a question mark about just how fast we are." Parker said. The Crimson will have a chance a find out Saturday in the short 2000 meter race which is more a test of speed than of endurance.

The high-stroking German crew will be a definite favorite. Not only are its marsmen older than the Crimson's, but they are far more experienced, particularly over the 2000 meter course, which they have rowed 40 or 50 times. No Harvard marsman has raced the distance more than four times.

But despite the overwhelming odds, Parker is not conceding anything, and hopes at least to give the Germans a good race. While they usually row a race at a 39-40, Parker doesn't plan to go any higher than a 33, although the sprint will begin very early in the race.

The Penn crew does not have an excellent record but it has gotten off to very last starts in its last two regattas, and could prove a real threat in the short race this weekend. Navy does not have an impressive record either, but its crew is big and Parker has not counted them out of the race.

The varsity lightweights, meanwhile, are favored to take their third victory in four races here on the Charles against Yale and Princeton in the Goldthwait Cup. The Crimson has won the cup five straight times, and should keep it for an unprecedented sixth consecutive year in the race this weekend.

Coach Fred Cabot will send the same varsity boat that won last week against the Elis and the Tigers. "The varsity has done very well this week and it is definitely faster now than last Saturday," he said. "We should win."